Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Crochet stripes

At the moment, my most favourite thing to crochet apart from granny squares, is a scarf. Not just an ordinary scarf though, a soft bamboo loveliness that is a joy to make, and from the reactions I've got so far, a joy to touch and receive. This is the third one I've made, and it's so simple.


I know it's odd making scarves in this weather, but needs must (birthday presents for boss-type men).

Just in case you're wondering how to make it, I used a yarn that's mostly bamboo, as this is light and silky (for example, Rowan Bamboo Soft or Sirdar Flirt), 2 x 50g balls of the main colour, then one of each of the other complimentary colours. I then chained as many stitches as I needed for the length, then double crochet for one row, then switched to treble. Switch as many colours, and treble crochet as many rows as you want, then finish with a row of doubles.

I have my eye on a wave pattern (See here for a gorgeous example). I just need to get one more lacy scarf for a present out the way... and maybe do some more of those 384 granny squares for that bedspread. Oh and the cotton baby blanket I started, and the amigurumi book i've borrowed from my friend...

DId I hear someone say "UFO"?

6 comments:

planetcoco said...

So pretty - I love those bamboo yarns, too. I made Julie a silvery-grey 'Flirt' scarf for Christmas, and was more than a little loathe to part with it. :)

Sian said...

LOL! It's great to see you making scarves (and such cool ones at that!) because now I don't feel so odd knitting beanie hats :)

Janice xxxx said...

I don't think it's at all odd making scarves this time of year. Tis a bit weird stringing them up around tree branches though....tee hee.

rubberdubber said...

Fantabulous! You're very clever

Janice xxxx said...

hey Sarah, I keep coming back to look at that scarf - can I commission you to make me one?? can you let me know what you would charge me if you can squeeze one in before the autumn and your procreating?! no worries if you are chocca (j.newson@blueyonder.co.uk) cheers ears

Heather said...

Lovely scarves & they will be great as xmas pressies xx